Posted on 12-15-2015
Meditation and its benefits
Tracing its roots to ancient Hindu mythology and a newly gained popularity off late due to the hippie movement, Meditation not only aims to reconcile with the Supreme Being but also provides multiples of health benefits, hitherto unknown to the civilized world. In recent past, Meditation has evolved as one of the main stress-reduction techniques which have helped improves the quality of life as a whole.
How to Meditate?
Meditation in a nutshell is to shut oneself from the outside world and focus on something singular. It could be a repeated rendition of a religious mantra or concentrating on a candle flame. The whole idea is to leave aside all tensions and focus on something which soothes the inner body and soul. Commonly practiced methods of meditation are as below:
- Body Scan
- Breath Focus
- Mantra Repetition
- Guided Imagery
Benefits of Meditation- A Chiropractic analysis
A recent study has shown that meditation and self-relaxation has helped to reduce the blood pressure and stress related diseases in the society. While there may be different methods to meditate, essentially all of them are targeted to have an essentially similar biological effect – The sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems build up our autonomic nervous system. When you relax, the parasympathetic nervous system switches on. That is linked to better digestion, memory and immunity, among other things. So as long as you meditate and relax deeply, you'll reap the rewards.
Well-being of a human being can be attributed to the following attributes which are most definitely addressed by Meditation:
- INCREASED IMMUNITY: Relaxation of Muscles gained through Meditation helps to reduce risk of being attacked by cancer as also boosting the natural killer cells in the body thereby making the human body better poised to fight tumours and viruses.
- EMOTIONAL BALANCE: Meditation goes a long way in curing abnormal neurosis that arises due to traumatic and tortured egos. Meditation helps to compartmentalize the emotionally traumatic memories in a saddened heart and makes the mind more potent to take decisions which are driven by reason and not emotion.
- INCREASED FERTILITY: A stress free body is more likely to conceive than a stressed soul. And what better way to drive off stress than meditate.
- RELIEVES IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME: Meditation helps in better digestion as well as regularizes the excretory systems of anyone suffering from bloating, diarrhoea and constipation.
- LOWERS BLOOD PRESSURE: Relaxation of the mind and body helps to alleviate the emotional tension and stress in an individual’s life thus negating the chances of hypertension to a great extent.
- ANTI-INFLAMATORY: Stress leads to inflammation – a state of the body that can lead to heart disease, arthritis, asthma and skin conditions such as psoriasis etc. Meditation can help to prevent such symptoms by switching off the stress response.
- CALMNESS: As meditation prepares the mind to compartmentalize overtly emotional encounters and to switch off from highly stressful situations, a meditating mind is much more equipped to handle stressful situations and derive to appropriate decisions than a non-meditating mind.
What’s more, Meditation is slowly finding its way into the chiropractic way of treatment, whereby practitioners are recommending Meditation as one of the holistic ways to keep your mind body and soul free of the torment of times.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.